This presentation provides students a visually stimulating lesson detailing the rise of totalitarian dictatorships in Europe in the years leading up to World War II. . The 19 slide activity is filled with colorful pictures, maps, and other relevant information that will breathe life into this fascinating era of history while providing a platform in which to build additional related activities. This lesson is also great to use when you are out of the classroom, serving as an awesome resource for sub days! If you'd like a version you can edit, shoot me an email and I'll be happy to help. Enjoy!
* Stalin's creation of a totalitarian communist dictatorship in the Soviet Union (including his economic policies, the purges, etc...)
* Postwar problems in Italy, the rise of Mussolini, and the creation of a new political ideology - fascism).
* Mussolini's tactics to gain and maintain power in Italy while creating a fascist totalitarian dictatorship.
* The rise of fascism in Germany & tactics they used to gain and maintain power in Germany while creating a fascist totalitarian dictatorship.
* Comparison/ contrasting fascism and communism to help students understand the key differences between these two extreme political ideologies.
* Lesson learning target on the bottom of every slide.