This presentation provides students a visually stimulating lesson detailing the Problems Exposed in the United States around the turn of the 20th century. Designed as a student-centered activity to be uploaded into google classroom, the presentation includes 10 embedded focus questions for students to answer using their core text (and additional information presented in the slides). The 20 slide activity is filled with colorful pictures, maps, charts, and other relevant information that will serve as a platform in which to build additional related activities. This lesson is also great to use when you are out of the classroom, serving as an awesome resource for sub days! If you'd like a version you can edit, shoot me an email and I'll be happy to help. Enjoy!
* The many changes that took place in the United States by around 1900, including immigration, urbanization, and the effects of industrialization.
* Poor living conditions in city slums, problems in the workplace, and unsafe products (such as the awful conditions in meat plants) exposed in this era.
* Problems with the environment due to industrialization by the turn of the century, the effects of extractive industries, & how water & air pollution was impacting peoples lives.
* The politics of fraud & bribery: the political machine & the boss.
* Political corruption at the local, state, & national levels of American politics in this era.
* Social tensions that emerged in this era (such as the growing wealth gap, life for African Americans in the age of Jim Crow, the changing role of women, & challenges for American families).
* Lesson learning target on the bottom of every slide.